Enforcing Court Orders with a Child Support Lawyer

by | Jan 3, 2017 | Lawyers

In Georgia, parents receive child support based on the child custody arrangements set up by the court. Typically, the non-custodial parent acquires a monthly payment as outlined in the custody and support papers. However, under some circumstances, they may not receive these payments as ordered. The following are details about how these court orders are enforced and modified through a child support lawyer.

What Do Parents Do When They Don’t Receive Child Support Payments?

They must report these failures to the court. They cannot take action on their own in most cases, and they cannot refuse to allow visitation with their child due to a lack of payment. However, after they report these failures to the court, the judge can take legal action against the non-custodial parent.

Once Notified, What Does the Court Do to Enforce These Laws?

The judge can issue a warrant for the arrest of the non-custodial parent. The warrant is based on a violation of a court order. They can require the non-custodial parent to remain in the county jail until they can catch up these payments. The non-custodial parent remains until they accumulate the funds according to the duration of time served.

Can the Custodial Parents Request an Increase and Why?

Yes, the custodial parent can submit a request for an increase of the child support payments after the first year of receiving them. They can also submit a request for increases when they suffer a financial hardship or if the non-custodial parent receives a significant raise in wages.

Can the Custodial Parent Change the Method in Which They Receive Payments?

Yes, if they are facing difficulty to acquire child support payments from their former spouse, they can request a change. They can ask that the payments be submitted to the court directly. This allows them to receive payments from the court and ensure that they are enforced.

In Georgia, parents acquire child support as a part of the child custody order. The payments are provided to supplement financial support for the child. Parents who need help from a child support lawyer visit Website Domain today.

The Must List