Single Parents May Get the Financial Help they Need by Hiring a Child Support Lawyer in Marion IA

by | Sep 21, 2016 | Lawyers

More people than ever before are choosing to have children without plans of getting married. These pregnancies are typically planned and the couple fully intends to stay together forever. In some cases, the romantic relationship between the parents doesn’t last and one parent is left to raise the child on their own. There are systems in place to help single parents get the financial support they need from the other parent, even if they were never married. A Child Support Lawyer in Marion IA may be able to help a single mother or father get a child support order from the court that will help them raise their child or children.

With child support, a single parent can give their child the same standard of living they had when the parents were together. This financial support helps children have the ability to take part in the same activities as their peers. Kids who receive child support don’t have to miss out on things just because their single parent doesn’t have the money to pay the fees. Ideally, in addition to paying child support, the other parent also continues to play an active role in their child’s life. While the court cannot mandate parents to spend time with their children after the couple separates, there are penalties for parents who do not pay the child support they are ordered to provide. A law firm such as Jacobsen Johnson & Wiezorek PLC also helps a parent get back in front of the judge when they don’t receive the support they need.

Because everyone has unique financial circumstances and they can change over time, there are ways to modify a child support order if either parent suffers a significant loss of income. A Child Support Lawyer in Marion IA might file for a modification on behalf of their client if they need more money from the other parent because they lost their job or because the child has significant medical expenses that are not covered by insurance. Having a lawyer could help a parent present their case to the judge in a clear, concise manner.

The Must List