Horrendous car crashes get a lot of attention on the nightly news; they make a good video. Accidents involving vehicles and pedestrians or bicyclists seem to receive far less attention. That’s understandable. Wrecked cars or overturned 18-wheelers remain at the accident scene for some time. Injured pedestrians or bicyclists are being frantically cared for by a team of doctors and nurses in the emergency room long before the TV photographers arrive at the scene of the accident.
Pedestrian and Bicyclists’ Injuries and Fatalities
Every day, 12 pedestrians and two bicyclists lose their lives in crashes with motor vehicles. When a fragile human body encounters a car or truck, the vehicle never loses. Well over 110,000 pedestrians and bicyclists are injured annually in these accidents. Many more people are injured, according to hospital records, but those injuries are not reported to the police, states an accident attorney in Murfreesboro, TN.
A Few Facts About Accidents Involving Vehicles, Pedestrians and Bicyclists
• A substantial majority of the fatalities are male: 69% of the pedestrians killed and a startling 83% of the bicyclists.
• Most of these accidents take place in urban areas.
• About 34% of the pedestrians were legally drunk when they died, as was true of 20% of the bicyclists.
A Few of the Rights and Responsibilities of Drivers, Pedestrians and Bicyclists
• Drivers of vehicles are required to exercise due care so as to avoid colliding with a pedestrian on the road.
• If the pedestrian is a child or appears confused or incapacitated and is on the road, the driver shall take precaution to avoid an injury.
• A blind person with a guide dog or cane always has the right of way.
• If there is no sidewalk, a pedestrian should walk on the left side of the road, facing traffic.
• A bicyclist is required to obey the same traffic laws as if he or she were driving a car.
• However, a biker is allowed to share the lane with a car if the lane is wide enough, about 14 feet.
If you were injured by a motor vehicle while walking or riding a bike, don’t delay in consulting an accident attorney in Murfreesboro, TN. The Law Office of Gritton & Gritton, PLLC is dedicated to protecting the legal rights of accident victims and obtaining for them the compensation that they deserve. Visit the site to learn more and schedule a free consultation.